Monday 10 March 2014

Cadbury Creme Egg: Pots of joy



Product name: Cadbury Creme Egg: Pots of joy
Purchase details:
£1.29 for a pack of four desserts (tesco.com)
Calories:
165 per 70g dessert
Country of origin:
UK
 

I was really excited when I found out about this new Creme Egg variety of Pots of joy – I’d had the Caramel and Buttons versions before and found that the white chocolate one was to die for. I hoped this version would be as good but I’ve had to wait a little while to find out as it took some time to get hold of it at a reasonable price (the £1.29 I paid was actually advertised as ‘half price’). 


These ‘smooth’ and ‘creamy’ desserts came in cute purple pots in a cardboard sleeve featuring the well-know purple, red and yellow colour scheme. Unfortunately, the cardboard wasn’t the most secure packaging in the world since, when I held it level above my head to read the bottom of the pack, one of the tubs fell out and hit me on the nose! However, it was eye-catching, and the illustration of the product looked fantastic. I am always dubious when real photographs aren’t used, though, because it makes me think the reality won’t be as good.  


The desserts were made by Müller, under license from Mondelez, and contained ‘melted Cadbury milk chocolate with a fondant layer’. The chocolate contributed to 7% of the product and sat atop the dessert. Undisturbed, the relatively pale layer looked molten, glossy and, texturally, a bit like wobbly custard. 


I was a little disappointed by the appearance of the inside of the dessert but only because of how it compared to the image on the box. Yes, the fondant contained both the white and orange colours that were designed to look like egg, but these layers had a tendency to mix together a bit and lose their definition. However, it did still it looked pretty great! 


The product contained cream (6%) which I thought may have contributed to the slight scent of chocolate milk that I could detect. The taste of the chocolate, though, was far stronger than the aroma – surprisingly so considering the relatively low amount the dessert contained! I found these Pots of joy provided two distinct elements simultaneously – the tip of the tongue had a chocolate party whilst a subtle hint of marshmallow-like sugary sweetness tickled the back of the tongue. I can’t say the combination was exactly like a real Creme Egg (or even that similar), but the balance between the two flavours seemed just right in this format. The desserts were delicious and I felt they were a much better continuation of the brand than the Biscuits I’ve previously reviewed. 


For me, the best thing about these Cadbury Creme Egg: Pots of joy, was the texture. In fact, I think it’s the first set of full marks I’ve ever given in a review (I must be hard to please!). It was, quite frankly, divine. The chocolate was beautifully thick and silky smooth and, whilst the fondant was slightly thinner, the texture was still substantial. I loved it! 

I really enjoyed this product so I can only hope that, when the packaging warned that they were a limited edition, what it really meant was that it would be a seasonal regular like Creme Eggs themselves! 

Appearance: 9/10
Aroma: 6.5/10
Taste:
9/10
Texture:
10/10
Overall score:
8.63/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think - I love reading all your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...