Sunday 19 October 2014

Popchips Sour Cream & Onion



Product name: Popchips Sour Cream & Onion
Purchase details:
£0.99 for an 85g bag (tesco.com)
Calories:
95 per 23g serving (352 per bag)
Country of origin:
Europe

This is the last of my big bags of Popchips (thank goodness their lovely people have sent me some smaller ones to keep me going!) and these Sour Cream & Onion chips were the same concept I described in my review of the Barbeque ones.


The green bag contained at least 3.5 servings of around 18 crisps which were described as ‘creamy onion dip plus crispy chip minus guilt trip’ – a nice way of looking at it! I was also quite surprised that the powerful scent actually had a teeny bit of this creaminess to it, in addition to the stronger oniony and herby elements.


The crisps were the usual shape but were two-tone, with parts of each chip being more golden in colour than others. They were also flecked with green, and had a noticeably powdery texture, which was to be expected since the ingredients contained onion, sour cream and garlic in powder form!


The first Popchip I tried tasted almost identical to the Original so I was a bit alarmed by the lack of additional flavour. This gradually built, though, and I was again surprised to be able to specifically identify an element of cream – something I’ve never noticed in sour cream and onion crisps before. When I reviewed Walkers Pops: Sour cream & onion, I described how I always associate the flavour with Pringles, but these Popchips actually tasted different. Each chip seemed to either focus on a garlicky or slightly sweeter flavour, and there was a fairly zingy onion aftertaste too.


Whilst the texture remained the same, I found the flavour to be more interesting than both the Original and Sea Salt & Vinegar versions, but they weren’t quite as good as the Barbeque.

I have one flavour left to try...I wonder how it will compare!

Appearance: 7.5/10
Aroma:
7.5/10
Taste:
8/10
Texture:
8/10
Overall score:
7.75/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think - I love reading all your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...