Sunday 10 August 2014

Nestlé Kit Kat: Chunky



Product name: Nestlé Kit Kat: Chunky
Calories:
247 for a 48g bar

I still remember the day I started my love affair with the Nestlé Kit Kat: Chunky. I was 10 years old and staying with an aunty during the Summer holidays. I was sat in the back of her car as she filled the tank with petrol and, before she went to pay, she asked me if I’d ever had one because she loved them. I told her I hadn’t and, when she emerged from the little shop, she handed my first ever Chunky in its classic red wrapper. As much as I liked the standard bars, I didn’t find them particularly exciting, so I wasn’t sure how this was going to be any different. It turned out she was right and, until the peanut butter version came out later, it was my favourite chocolate bar!


Anyway, this particular bar was a gift from a colleague (who was oblivious to the back story!) and was made for the UK and Ireland market. It contained no artificial flavours, colours or preservatives and was described as a ‘crispy wafer finger covered with thick milk chocolate’.


In terms of appearance, it looked exactly the same as the mint version, although I didn’t think the chocolate layer looked as thick as it used to, despite contributing to 67% of the product.


The aroma was the great, strong Kit Kat one I’ve grown accustomed to – pretty chocolatey and sweet. The chocolate wasn’t amazing quality but I still loved it since it had a good flavour and a deep sugary taste. The usual sweetness from the wafer tasted as fabulous as ever against this richer coating.


Of course, it’s the very chunkiness of the chocolate that made this bar what it was. I particularly loved biting off each end where the relatively soft chocolate was particularly thick. The ratio of chocolate to wafer basically produced the same great, chunky but crisp texture as the white choc version of the bar.

There’s no doubt about it...the Nestlé Kit Kat: Chunky will always hold a special place in my heart.

Appearance: 7.5/10
Aroma:
7.5/10
Taste:
8/10
Texture:
8.5/10
Overall score:
7.88/10

2 comments:

  1. I remember my first one too :) I have to say I don't think this bar is as good as it used to be..the chocolate seems much sweeter, and like you say not as thick as it used to be. They used to be huge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might well be right - I struggle to know how much is down to recipe changes and how much is a result of my own tastes and size changing!

      Delete

Let me know what you think - I love reading all your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...