Tuesday 13 May 2014

Krispy Kreme Chocolate Iced



Product name: Krispy Kreme Chocolate Iced
Purchase details:
£1.50 for a 66g doughnut (Krispy Kreme Doughnuts)
Calories:
278 per doughnut
Country of origin:
UK

I was delighted to discover that Krispy Kreme are keeping the Peanut Butter Kreme long-term but it does mean I need to try the other Choco Mania doughnuts before they disappear at the end of the month! This review was meant to be of the Chocolate Cookie Crunch but, unfortunately, the store had sold out by the time I got there after work. I couldn’t possibly leave empty-handed, though, and since I was limited in choice by calories, I opted for the simple Chocolate Iced instead.

Krispy Kreme's website described this as their ‘signature ring doughnut hand-dipped in chocolate icing’ so, unsurprisingly, its main features can be read about in my review of the Original Glazed!


I did have this variety several years ago but, for the simple reason that there are more exciting options on offer, it’s not one I’ve bought since. It had exactly the same scent as the Original Glazed and the only difference in appearance was the smooth, thin chocolate icing that sat neatly on top of the ring (although mine was smudged by the paper bag!).


The chocolate icing had the same sugary-shell type texture as the glaze and tasted a bit like a slightly watery cake frosting. I realise I’ve just made it sound horrible – it wasn’t – but it was by no means an indulgent chocolate icing either. On checking the nutritional information, I wasn’t surprised to see that, despite containing 32% reduced fat cocoa powder, the two main ingredients were sugar and water.


In terms of the icing’s overall impact, it perhaps added a slightly darker and sickly taste to the sweet and juicy doughnut, but not in a big enough way to affect its taste score either way. The texture remained highly enjoyable too – I just found the way the topping tended to slide away from the rest of the doughnut a bit distracting as I was chewing!

Once again, this was a delicious treat from Krispy Kreme. However, I’d probably be more tempted to stick to the Original Glazed when opting for one of the plainer varieties, in future.

Appearance: 8/10
Aroma:
8/10
Taste:
9/10
Texture:
8.5/10
Overall score:
8.38/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think - I love reading all your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...