Saturday 10 May 2014

Cadbury Creme Egg (minis)



Product name: Cadbury Creme Egg (minis)
Calories:
50 per 11.5g egg (400 per 89g bag)
Country of origin:
UK


Can you believe I only had one Cadbury Creme Egg this year? I didn’t even get to review it as I had it on Easter day at my brother’s house! Thankfully, though, the Easter Bunny decided to get me an egg that came with a bag of eight mini ones.


Made by Mondelez UK, the bag contained the familiar red and purple colour scheme with a yellow splat – I do love this branding as it’s so instantly recognisable and gets me excited about the time of year. Inside, the ‘mini eggs of fun’ were individually foil-wrapped, and these could be viewed through a window on the bag.


The ‘milk chocolate eggs with a soft fondant centre (45%)’ used chocolate that contained a minimum of 20% milk solids. These shells were a bit matt in appearance so they didn’t look incredible and, due to the fondant having a tendency of making them a bit sticky, they didn’t feel great either. However, the eggs were decorated with the Cadbury logo and some stars, and there was no denying the gooeyness of the glossy fondant within. I must say that the novelty of the egg whites and yolk appearance never gets old for me either.


I loved the sugary sweet fondant smell that combined with the chocolate aroma of these eggs. The very viscous fondant provided a sugary hit which was unsurprising, really – you could tell it contained a lot of sugar from where the knife had made contact with the fondant and created a more crystallised appearance. (Per 100g, these Creme Eggs contained 67g of sugar!)


The chocolate melted relatively nicely but wasn’t totally smooth. However, I did like the cooling effect of the fondant as the two elements merged. This did also result in the fondant’s taste having less of an impact. This wasn’t an issue for me, but I do understand how some people (my own mother included!) find Creme Eggs too sickly, so sucking these smaller eggs may help.


When chewing, the fondant provided a liquidy burst through the chunky chocolate. However, there was no doubt in my mind that I prefer the regular-sized Cadbury Creme Eggs. My answer to the famous question ‘How do you eat yours?’ would be biting off the top of an egg and scooping out the middle with my tongue. However, this wasn’t an option here.  Size was the main issue but I also found that the fondant seemed thicker and a little less gooey so, even when trying to lick out an egg that had been cut in half length-ways, it was really hard to get it to budge.


In summary, then, I liked the flavours on offer from these mini Creme Eggs but, for me, the different ratio of chocolate to fondant made the overall experience a little less enjoyable than a standard Creme Egg.

Appearance: 7.5/10
Aroma:
7.5/10
Taste:
7.5/10
Texture:
7/10
Overall score:
7.38/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think - I love reading all your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...