Wednesday 26 March 2014

Tesco Chokablok: Utter nutter rock star



Product name: Tesco Chokablok: Utter nutter rock star
Purchase details:
£1.40 for an 80g bar (tesco.com)
Calories:
112 per 20g serving (448 per bar)
Country of origin: UK

I’m a big fan of Tesco’s Chokablok range so I was excited when I spotted this new Utter nutter rock star variety.


Made by House of Dorchester, this slab was made up of milk chocolate (containing a minimum of 30% cocoa solids and 20% milk solids) that had been swirled with dark chocolate (70% cocoa solids minimum). It came in the usual simple and transparent packaging, which allowed the glory of the bar to be displayed, and the cardboard was a burnt orange colour to represent this particular variety.

 
The bar was Chokablok (see what I did there?!) of ‘caramelised hazelnuts and macadamia nuts’. Since my only previous experience of macadamia nuts had been with the Subway White Chip Macadamia Nut Cookie, I couldn’t wait to tuck into this product. These nuts contributed to 6% of the bar and were chopped up, whilst the hazelnuts accounted for 8% and remained whole, having the appearance of a slightly less bumpy popcorn. To finish off the attractive appearance, the bar was topped with different-sized milk chocolate stars, as well as edible glitter.


I’d never turned over a bar of Chokablok before, due to the topping becoming dislodged, but I was pleasantly surprised to see that there was more attention to detail on the base. There were divisions marked for easy breakage (not that I used them!), the product name was imprinted across the chocolate, and I loved that the nuts were visible all the way through.


The Tesco Chokablok: Utter nutter rock star gave off a proper chocolate smell that was of a good quality with a slightly woody nut element. The hazelnuts themselves tasted exactly as you’d expect but, on their own, they weren’t particularly caramelised. In contrast, the macadamia nuts were lovely and sugary, providing a hard and crispy texture that contrasted well with the soft crunch of the hazelnuts.

The slab itself had a smooth and quite milky chocolate flavour which had a slightly bitter aftertaste from the dark chocolate. Despite being thin, the stars added to the very chocolatey experience, and the overall texture from the chocolates was chunky yet soft. The slab also melted well, and the Chokablok logo provided an interesting and bumpy texture, but the nuts obviously prevented a comfortable melt in all sections of the bar.

As hoped, this was a very enjoyable product, and I loved how creamy the chocolate was. However, the highlight for me was the caramelised macadamia nuts, since these provided a fantastic sugary flavour and crunch that reminded me slightly of the Ritter Sport Gebrannte Mandel bar. 

Appearance: 9/10
Aroma:
8/10
Taste:
8/10
Texture:
9/10
Overall score:
8.5/10

3 comments:

  1. Macadamias in a chocolate bar, now that's actually quite novel for Tesco! I'll keep my eye out for this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never had a chokablok bar but they look really good, I may need to buy some :)

    http://daisychainprincess.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks gorgeous! Love the idea of the caramelised macadamia nuts, I hope my local Tesco has some in stock tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think - I love reading all your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...