Sunday 24 November 2013

Cadbury Dairy Milk: Caramel



Product name: Cadbury Dairy Milk: Caramel
Purchase details:
£1.00 for a packet of four bars (Tesco Superstore)
Calories:
190 per bar
Country of origin:
UK
 

I don’t buy Cadbury Dairy Milk: Caramel often – not because it doesn’t taste nice but because Dairy Milk chocolate is so delicious that I think it’s a shame to replace a big part of it with a squidgy filling. I wasn’t going to turn down a well-priced multipack, though!


I think it’s fair to say that the purple and yellow colour combination used for this variety is pretty famous and, for me at least, it makes me think back to the Cadbury Caramel Bunny. Described as ‘milk chocolate with caramel centre’, each bar weighed around 38.5g and, the packaging claimed, was ‘full of joy’.


Shockingly, I’ve yet to have an individual Dairy Milk with the newer extremely curved shape, and it seems that the multipack bars are based on the more subtly changed shape of the larger bars. As a result, the six Cadbury logo-imprinted pieces of each of these ‘dreamy’ Caramel treats were still relatively angular, although the wrapper described their curves as ‘luscious’. The pieces were also pretty deep which allowed for the ‘gooey’ and ‘delicious’ filling.


Since I hate to make a mess with my food, I’m always grateful when I break a piece of Dairy Milk Caramel off and no filling oozes through the tiny hole between the chambers. On this occasion, I was even more relieved when the dark yellow caramel kept its moulded shape when I cut through a piece for its photo shoot! Whilst I was unable to detect the caramel in the product’s aroma, I was pleased that the standard Dairy Milk smell was present. The only downside was that this wasn’t as strong as usual due to there physically being less chocolate (a whopping 40% of the bar was the caramel!).


Cadbury described the Dairy Milk chocolate as ‘smooth’ and ‘dreamy’, and it certainly was its usual self, with a particular creaminess being noticeable when allowing a piece to melt. As I’ve previously experienced, though, the flavour wasn’t as powerful as usual due to the presence of the caramel.


This caramel had a viscous texture and added something different to the Dairy Milk flavour without being too sweet. Unsurprisingly, it made the bar more chewy, and I also found it remained in the mouth after the chocolate since this tended to melt before each piece had been completely swallowed. Whilst not impossible to let a whole piece melt on the tongue, I did find the caramel was a bit too thick for this as it lingered a little long for my liking.

As tasty as this Dairy Milk variety was, I wouldn’t agree with its claim of being ‘a match made in Heaven’. I have nothing against adding other ingredients to bars of this wonderful chocolate but, personally, I prefer smaller, crunchy pieces as this prevents the chocolate itself being reduced to an outer shell. 

Appearance: 7/10
Aroma:
7.5/10
Taste:
7/10
Texture:
7/10
Overall score:
7.13/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think - I love reading all your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...